Vegans are people who not only refrain from meat but also do not consume or use any dairy or animal products. Veganism can be termed as a way of living in which people avoid all things of animal origin to reduce the cruelty against animals. There are a lot of people turning vegans these days. Therefore before making up your mind, you must be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of being a vegan. Vegans likely enjoy more health benefits than non-vegans.
Over the past years, people have increasingly started turning towards vegan diets to eat more plant foods and lethargy induced by animal products or live healthier lives. People all over the world are eating less meat and are switching to a plant-based diet. As veganism is rising day by day worldwide, there are more vegan choices now found in supermarkets. Studies also show that veganism is environment-friendly and could aid the planet. One study suggested that taking up a vegan menu could increase the amount of food available for human consumption, thus providing greater global food security and feeding people in famines. People who consume a vegan meal can enjoy many great food choices and varieties than ever before. Besides the main benefit of switching to a vegan diet being environment-friendly and more sustainable for the planet, there are, of course, many other significant health benefits. Here let us see some of the advantages of being a vegan.
- A vegan diet provides you with the required amount of nutrients: a healthy and balanced vegan diet includes all the nutrients your body needs. If you consume a vegan diet, you are more likely to consume more fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, vitamin C, antioxidants, vitamin A and vitamin B., E.g., whole foods like fruits, vegetables, grains, pulses, seeds, and nuts. Thus switching to a vegan diet will help you reach the nutrient level your body desires.
- A healthy vegan diet contributes to boosting your mood: Vegan diet is free of harming animals. Thus this compassionate act helps to provide you with a clear conscience. And studies have proved that vegans are happier and less depressed than the meat-eaters. In this way, if you consume a healthy vegan diet, it will boost your mood.
- A healthy vegan meal relieves arthritis pain: Eating meat-based food causes inflammation and pain and worsens arthritis symptoms. Many studies have stated that eating vegan foods helps in easing your arthritis symptoms. To reduce inflammation and boost your nutrient absorption, you must eat probiotic plant-based foods like non-dairy yogurts and fermented vegetables. It also helps in boosting good bacterias in your large intestine.
- A healthy and balanced vegan diet helps you maintain your body weight: Animal-based foods contain more calories than vegan nutrition. So while consuming a vegan diet, you no need to worry about cutting calories. Studies show that vegans have lower body mass than meat-eaters as a vegan diet contains fewer amounts of saturated fats. So if you are overweight, then instead of controlling your diet, you can switch to vegan meals. Thus it is a proven fact that vegan foods help you cut down excess body weight and maintain a healthy body.
- A vegan diet may reduce the risk of cancers: You can prevent certain cancers by controlling your diet. For example, eating fruits and vegetables and legumes might help you to avoid the risk of cancers. Vegans intake more legumes, vegetables, and fruits as compared to non-vegans. Therefore vegans are less likely to suffer cancer. Soy products also help to reduce the risk of breast cancer. Some studies have stated that animal products promote cancer risk—for instance, smoked, processed, and overcooked meats. Therefore studies have proved that vegans are less affected by certain cancers than meat-eaters. So if you consume a healthy vegan diet, you are less likely to get cancer.
- A vegan diet has skin benefits: Dairy products result in acne’s appearance in male and female skin. Vegans enjoy clear and glowing skin by quitting the dairy items and adopting vegan foods like fruits and vegetables. Fresh fruits and vegetables are good sources of vitamins and antioxidants. Antioxidants and vitamins are helpful for healthy and glowing skin. Therefore vegans have more skin benefits from their diet as compared to non-vegans.
- A vegan diet promotes the consumption of antioxidants and fiber: vegans intake high amounts of fiber as they consume more fruits and vegetables. Thread is an essential element for a smooth digestion process. Similarly, antioxidants’ intake is also increased as vegans consume whole grains, legumes, beans, fruits, and vegetables. And these all are rich sources of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- A vegan diet is beneficial for the environment: Breeding, feeding, and raising animals for eating requires more energy and inefficient resource use. So if you adopt a vegan lifestyle, it would put less stress on the environment and prove a factor in reducing the pollution and exploitation of natural resources. The agricultural land is being exploited on a large scale to produce animal products. Adopting a vegan diet is the only way to save land, water, and fossil fuels. Thus adopting a vegan lifestyle refers to adopting sustainable practices.
- A vegan diet is beneficial for your cardiovascular health: vegans consume more fiber, legumes, and fruits and vegetables. All these are associated with lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease. Vegan foods also help to reduce blood pressure and even control blood sugar levels. Whole grains and nuts are also beneficial for a healthy heart. Thus vegan diets lower blood sugar levels, cholesterol, and blood pressure and keep your heart healthy. Studies have shown that vegan diets can prevent the risk of illnesses related to the cardiovascular system.
- A vegan diet helps improve kidney function: eating a vegan diet allows you to fight poor kidney function. Vegan foods regulate the kidneys and help to work efficiently. Thus your elimination system works efficiently, and you are free of risk of any neuro disorders.
- The welfare of animals: By adopting a vegan lifestyle, you are refraining from killing animals. Thus it will reduce the cruelty against animals. As you know, animals are brutally killed for food. If you switch to vegan foods, then there will not be any need to slaughter animals. Animals are being slaughtered for food, clothing, and other purposes. If veganism spreads all over the globe, then the demand for animal products will decline. So this way, the vegan lifestyle works in the welfare of animals.
- A healthy vegan diet reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes: As mentioned earlier, vegan foods lowers blood sugar levels and maintains a healthy blood sugar level. Therefore vegans have fewer chances of developing type 2 diabetes. As vegans consume a lot of healthy plant-based diets, it helps them to fight diabetes and obesity. So drink a balanced vegan diet to avoid the risk of type 2 diabetes.
The above mentioned are a few of the advantages of adopting a vegan lifestyle. As every coin has two sides, vegans have disadvantages too. Therefore before making up your mind to switch to a vegan diet, you must research the changes you are preparing to make. A vegan diet has a lot of health benefits for sure and also beneficial for the environment. But they lack certain nutrients and are also not recommended for everyone. So you must know about the supplements you need to take along with the vegan diet. And the best thing you can do is consult your doctor for the same. By adopting a vegan diet, you will also explore cooking and new things. To prove beneficial to the environment and animals, the best thing humans can do is quit animal products and adopt veganism. It not only benefits the surroundings but also has a lot of benefits for yourself.